Q.

Can sleeping on hard surface help reduce back pain?

Related Topics: Back Pain

A.

Paleolithic men and women did not have sprung bedframes, cushioned easy chairs, soft mattresses or pillows. Many people around the world still do not have them either. What damage are we doing to our bodies, structurally and otherwise when we sleep and sit on modern furniture and is it realistic to think that returning to hard surfaces could reverse some of the damage done?

I am thinking of possibly throwing out my bed or at the very least trying to sleep on the floor. I have scoliosis (and my husband has back problems) and I have read evidence which says the floor is the way to go, but sometimes I think I am being slightly crazy wanting to do this.

A.
Most beds tend to "conform" to your body, not really supporting the spinal chord. I would say a very soft bed can be detrimental, while a firm bed would be better.  Hard to tell and also depends on your body type, if you are overweight etc.

A.
It will make it better. softer beds are bad for your posture and don't support your spine correctly when you sleep, resulting in back pain. a good firm mattress (though uncomfortable) is best for people who suffer from back pain.