Q.

What happens to me if I live in a state that expanded Medicaid?

A.
Starting in 2014, some states will be expanding Medicaid coverage to all individuals making less than $15,000 (or $31,000 for a family of four). If you live in a state that did expand Medicaid, you may be eligible for free or low cost coverage. The best way to determine if you are eligible for Medicaid is to fill out an application for insurance on your state’s Health Insurance Marketplace (or “Exchange”). Even if you aren’t eligible for Medicaid, the Marketplace application process will let you know if you are eligible for a new kind of tax credit to make insurance coverage more affordable.