Q.

If the purpose of the ACA is to ensure all Americans have health care, why do most plans have such a high deductible?

A.
Essentially what we've done is to create a marketplace for private insurance. And each insurer is pricing it. Some have lower deductibles but that means then it may be a higher premium. Some of them may have higher co-pays but a lower premium. And so, what we've tried to do is to say, "Here are a range of options that are available to you through traditional private providers, and you choose what you think is best for you." Now, you know, obviously, there are other countries that have government-run health care or have a single payer plan, in which case the government really controls much more tightly how health care is distributed. That’s not the system we've traditionally had.

There are pluses and minuses with having a private insurance system, but what we have tried to do is to make sure that everybody has a range of options and they can see what's going to be most suited for their family. And some people may say, "I'd rather have a higher deductible but lower premiums." Some people may say, "You know what? I'm going to use health care fairly often, so I may want to keep my deductibles lower." Part of why this whole initiative has been so important is, from now on, folks cannot be prohibited from getting health insurance because of a preexisting condition. And that is something that is going to give a lot of people out there a lot of assurance. And I suspect a lot of the people who view this program will say, "That's a relief for me." But what we haven't done is ended completely a private insurance system, although if you qualify for Medicaid, obviously, that whole issue would not apply.