Q.

What can you say to people who believe health insurance still isn't affordable?

And to people who are concerned that, if they don't purchase it, they'll have to pay a penalty?

A.
The first thing is making sure everybody has the right information, because there's been so much politics swirling around this, that I think a lot of folks still aren't sure what exactly is available. My most important recommendation is for people to go to the website --healthcare.gov --and look for themselves at what plans are being provided. And the website helps you calculate whether or not you qualify for a tax credit. If you do qualify for a tax credit, then I think a lot of people may end up being pleasantly surprised because, for a large portion of those folks, health insurance may end up costing $100 or less. It may end up costing less than your cable bill or your cell phone bill.

And, you know, if you are young, it may end up costing as little as $50 for good, solid coverage, that not only protects you in the case of illness or accident but also allows you to get free preventive care --routine mammograms or making sure that you’re getting your flu shot for you and your family. In some cases, people may also find out that, if they're really suffering some financial hardships, that they qualify for Medicaid. Or their children qualify for the Children's Health Insurance Program. All of which give them high quality health insurance. And finally, what I think is important for people to understand is that if, in fact, they still can’t afford it, there is a hardship exemption in the law. That means that they may not be subject to a penalty. The penalty really applies to folks who clearly can afford health insurance but are choosing not to get it. And then, essentially, they are relying on you and me and others who are paying our insurance premiums to subsidize them when they go to the emergency room if, heaven forbid, something happens. But I think that a lot of people have initially been skeptical. When they've gone online at healthcare.gov, they’ve discovered that, in fact, they've got some good options there that they can afford.

A.
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->The best way to look at it, it to look at figures, debunking this myth. The lowest health insurance plan in India at this point is about Rs3000/annum. In this plan, you get a cover amount of 3 lakhs. This will cover accidents and any sickness required for hospitalization. Now compare this the amount you will spend, if admitted in a decent hospital with good facilities and medical care. One appendix operation costs around 15-30 thousand. With a minimum amount of Rs3000, you can save all this expenditure. Also, if a policy is unclaimed for a year, you are eligible for a No Claim Bonus of about 50-100% which is added to your sum insured for the same premium amount. You can find a suitable plan based on your location, budget, age and requirement on Turtlemint.com. They have lead health insurance companies listed.

A.
pay the penalty. its a whole lot cheaper and then those who pay penalty vs. the Affordable HC, will show that AHC is not a good system and needs fixing or completely brought down. It will fail and then something will have to be done to change or completely start over. If many don't get Affordable HC, then its a fail system.  I feel the preexisting conditions is a good thing and people should be allowed to keep the insurance they had when they worked, by group costs, They should be allowed to keep the insurance after they departed from their job or were laid off. But the savings were a total lie and people are getting hooked in by fear. Agent told me this is a different world and bcbs agent told me to get a boat load of people to write their congressman. I didn't get it and yes,  Its scary either way, government gonna get you. Is this the America we want---get the ahc or else? Once your car is old and/or  totaled, we discard. Is that the same mentality these officials have on the very sick young or old? The costs of this AFFORDABLE health care is a joke. I need insurance but its food meds gas for my car  or insurance. I pay less to my doctor signing on to his bargain deals. but then the doctors plan doesn't have hospital coverage. Although hospitals do give you a huge discount. Been their done that and it doesn't come near the premium of $1175.75 a month this AFFORDABLE healthcare does. Obama had the right idea but the wrong purpose. He doesn't care much about the costs. Just get the insurance get on food stamps, get welfare, and don't work. Government will take care of you. And that's the wrong idea, wrong person to make these decisions on my health care costs or my plan.