Q.

Can I do anything to make my cold go away faster?

WebMD
A.

While there’s no cure for a cold, there are definitely things you can do to help your body beat a cold virus faster. Don’t underestimate the importance of getting extra rest to help your body focus on ridding you of that nasty cold virus. Drink plenty of fluids. Dehydration will only make you feel worse. And yes, even chicken soup can help ease symptoms. Research shows supplement may also help – at least a little. Echinacea and zinc lozenges can shorten a cold in some people if you start taking at the first signs of a cold. High doses of vitamin C may also help. But limit it to 2 grams per day to help avoid stomach upset. And remember, even supplements can have side effects and interfere with other medicines you take so be careful and talk to your doctor. Siberian ginseng may also help. And no, antibiotics won’t help because a cold is caused by a virus and antibiotics only help bacteria.

And don’t suffer needlessly from cold symptoms. Natural remedies like saline nasal sprays and irrigation (Neti pots) can help clear mucus and congestion. Over-the-counter medicine also helps ease symptoms. Just choose the medicine that matches your symptoms.

Archived: August 22, 2014