Q.

Is it safe to use eye drops daily to relieve redness?

I spend eight hours daily looking at a computer screen, but in the last couple of weeks, my eyes are red even an hour after I awake in the morning.

A.
It is generally safe to use over-the-counter eye drops daily to relieve redness. However, we understand a great deal more about the causes of chronic red eye. Therapies that are easier on you may be available.

An ophthalmologist who specializes in external diseases of the eye would probably be helpful to you. The computer screen complaint is a common one and probably is caused by the eyes drying out due to intense concentration. But it may be that there is another underlying problem that is exacerbated by the computer screen use.

Copyright 10/25/2007 Harvard University. All rights reserved. HHP/HMS content licensing handled by Belvoir Media Group.