Q.

I have osteoporosis and poor balance. What can I do to improve my balance?

A.

Many people can improve their balance and reduce their risk of falling by repeating a few simple exercises every day. Here are 2 exercises that may help you:

Exercise 1. While standing and facing a countertop or the back of a sturdy chair, hold on and stand on one leg at a time for one minute. Switch sides and repeat.

Exercise 2. While standing and facing a countertop or the back of a sturdy chair, hold on and rock up onto your toes for a count of ten. Then roll back onto your heels for a count of ten. Repeat ten times.

Start each exercise at Level 1 below. When you can do it comfortably, move on to the next level.

• Level 1: Hold on with both hands during exercise
  • Level 2: Hold on with one hand only
  • Level 3: Hold on with one fingertip only
  • Level 4: Keep both hands two inches above a countertop or back of a study chair
  • Level 5: Close your eyes and keep both hands two inches above a countertop or back of a study chair

Note: Always consult with your healthcare provider before starting an exercise program.