Q.

If I have osteoporosis, should I be taking a vitamin K supplement?

A.
Like many vitamins and minerals, vitamin K appears to play a role in your bone health. The recommended daily intake is 90 -120 micrograms (µg).There are two types of vitamin K. They are vitamin K1 and vitamin K2. Vitamin K1 sources include kale, brussels sprouts, spinach, mustard greens, turnip greens and vegetable oils. Vitamin K2 sources include egg yolks, organ meats and natto (a type of fermented soybean).
At this time, research does not support the practice of taking vitamin K supplements to prevent osteoporosis and broken bones. Taking a supplement doesn’t always have the same effects as eating whole foods that contain that same nutrient. Also, because vitamin K plays a role in blood clotting, getting too much vitamin K could cause problems in individuals who take blood thinning medicines or are at risk of blood clots. More research will help us to determine the amount and type of vitamin K that is necessary for bone health. Until we know more, try to get enough vitamin K from food sources.
Talk to your healthcare provider about any nutrition deficiencies you may have and discuss which supplements you should take for your bone health.