Q.

I am a 55 year old woman with osteoporosis, is running considered safe for me?

A.
For most people with osteoporosis, jogging would be considered unsafe. While jogging is a high-impact weight-bearing exercise that can help keep bones strong, it may also increase the risk of breaking a bone. Individuals with low bone density (osteopenia) can also benefit from following the precautions for people with osteoporosis. This is because these people may be at an increased risk of breaking a bone. Power walking and walking briskly are much safer and almost as effective for achieving the many health benefits of exercise.
Your healthcare provider, who knows your individual medical history and bone mineral density, should be able to provide guidance as to whether jogging is safe for you. A physical therapist can also be an excellent resource for information about exercise and bone health. If you’re interested in working with a physical therapist, your healthcare provider should be able to provide a referral for physical therapy.