Q.

I used to tan quite a bit as a teenager but never had a sunburn. Do I now have an increased risk for melanoma?

A.

Most people associate sunburn with skin damage, but even developing a moderate tan can increase your risk for skin cancer. A tan develops when the skin tries to protect itself from exposure to UV rays. This UV radiation from a tanning bed or the sun causes damage to your skin even if no immediate signs of damage are seen. Skin aging and cancer are often delayed effects that show up many years after exposure. You may have an increased risk of developing skin cancer, but you can significantly address the risk by paying attention to changes in your skin and limiting any future exposure to UV radiation.