Q.

I know I'm supposed to give myself skin examinations, but what should I look for as signs of possible skin cancer?

A.

When giving yourself a skin examination, you should look for the A-B-C-D-E's of melanoma. Moles or growths that are Asymmetrical, have an irregular Border, exhibit changes in Color, have a Diameter larger than the size of a pencil eraser (approximately 6 mm), or have Evolved in size or thickness should be examined by a dermatologist. To identify the less concerning basal and squamous cell carcinomas, you should report to your doctor any pink spots that persist, recur in the same place over time, or are easily irritated.