Q.

Is the stiffness and pain in my legs and back due to my osteoporosis?

A.

Stiffness and pain in the legs or knees are most commonly associated with osteoarthritis and are rarely caused by osteoporosis. Back pain, however, may be due to osteoporosis or other conditions such as osteoarthritis or degenerative disc disease. It is possible to have osteoporosis and osteoarthritis as well as other conditions at the same time.

Osteoporosis is called a “silent disease” because there are generally no symptoms or pain until you break a bone. For the pain you are having, we encourage you to speak with your doctor or other healthcare provider to determine the cause and to help you find relief from your pain.

When a person with osteoporosis in the spine has back pain, this may be caused by a broken bone in the spine. When you have osteoporosis and are having back pain, you should see a healthcare provider to find out if you have broken a bone in the spine. A lateral x-ray of the spine or a vertebral fracture assessment (VFA) can be used to look for broken bones in the spine.

For people with osteoporosis in the spine, it is important to protect the spine from broken bones by moving properly during exercise and daily activities. For example, do not bend over from the waist and avoid twisting motions of the trunk. Also, don’t carry packages that are too heavy or reach for objects on a high shelf.

Read the Original Article: Is the stiffness and pain in my legs and back due to my osteoporosis?