Q.

What if I don’t eat dairy foods because I am lactose intolerant?

A.

If you avoid milk or milk products because of lactose intolerance, the most reliable way to get the health benefits of dairy products is to choose lactose-free alternatives within the Dairy Group, such as cheese, yogurt, lactose-free milk, or calcium-fortified soymilk (soy beverage).

Other sources of calcium for those who do not consume dairy products include:  calcium fortified juices, cereals, breads, canned fish (sardines, salmon with bones), soybeans and other soy products (tofu made with calcium sulfate, soy yogurt, tempeh), and some leafy greens (collard and turnip greens, kale, bok choy). The amount of calcium that can be absorbed from these foods varies.