Q.

Why did my doctor give me an antidepressant for my pain? I’m in pain, not depressed!

A.
It is a little confusing, but a number of antidepressants have actually been found to help ease chronic pain. According to the Pharmacologic,  the effect these medicines have on pain is separate from their effect on mood. There are many things about chronic pain that we do not understand. However, it seems that imbalances in chemicals involved in pain perception and transmission may play a role. In low doses antidepressants seem to adjust these chemicals. As a result, they are a common and useful way to treat chronic pain. As with all medicines, unwanted side effects can occur. For this reason you should always talk with your doctor about how well the medicine is working in your body and any side effects you may have.