Q.

I’m taking metformin for diabetes. What kind of OTC pain medicine can I take for a headache?

A.
For people with diabetes, it is so important to check for interactions between your prescription medications and any nonprescription medications before use. The best choice for your headache would be acetaminophen (Tylenol). Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve), can put a strain on your kidneys, which could already be happening because of your diabetes. I would first try the acetaminophen and see if that works. If not, then you may be able to use an NSAID. But you should check with your doctor first to ensure that your kidneys are functioning well.