Q.

My 18-month-old has a cough. What can I give her?

A.

Medications sold over-the-counter for cough would not be recommended for an 18-month-old who has a cough. In fact, in a child this young, it would be important to talk to the child’s pediatrician about her symptoms. We would want to determine if the cough is related to the common cold or to something else, such as asthma.

Assuming the cough is related to the common cold, the best option would be to use a cool mist humidifier in her room. This will add moisture to the air and help soothe her airways.