Q.

I'm allergic to aspirin. What can I take for my migraines?

A.

There are a number of prescription and nonprescription medications for migraine. Products available over-the-counter like Excedrin are not a good choice for you, as they contain aspirin. Some people who have allergic reactions to aspirin may also have an allergy to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen (brand name: Advil or Motrin) or naproxen (brand name: Aleve).

Talk with your health care provider to see if he/she wants you to avoid NSAIDs as well. If so, there are prescription medications for migraines called the “triptans” such as sumatriptan (brand name: Imitrex), zolmitriptan (brand name: Zomig), or rizatriptan (brand name: Maxalt). They work very well at relieving a migraine when it occurs, and they should be taken at the first sign of migraine symptoms. You will need to consult with a health care provider to obtain a prescription for one of these products, but these should be safe to take if you have an aspirin allergy.