Q.

Is Fioricet safe to take in early pregnancy?

A.

Fioricet is a prescription pain reliever that contains butalbital, acetaminophen, and caffeine. It is a medication that should not be taken during pregnancy. Once a woman finds out she is expecting, it would be best to discontinue use of this product.

If the woman was taking Fioricet before she realized she was pregnant, I would direct her to talk with her ob-gyn. An ob-gyn might be able to provide further guidance based on any concerns based on how long the medication was taken and how far along the pregnancy is.