Q.

What is my risk of gestational diabetes?

A.

To learn your risk for gestational diabetes, check each item that applies to you. Talk with your doctor about your risk at your first prenatal visit.

• I have a parent, brother, or sister with diabetes.
  • I am African American, American Indian, Asian American, Hispanic/Latino, or Pacific Islander.
  • I am 25 years old or older.
  • I am overweight.
  • I have had gestational diabetes before, or I have given birth to at least one baby weighing more than 9 pounds.
  • I have been told that I have "prediabetes," a condition in which blood glucose levels are higher than normal, but not yet high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. Other names for it are "impaired glucose tolerance" and "impaired fasting glucose."

If you checked any of these risk factors, ask your health care team about testing for gestational diabetes.

• You are at high risk if you are very overweight, have had gestational diabetes before, have a strong family history of diabetes, or have glucose in your urine.

• You are at average risk if you checked one or more of the risk factors.

• You are at low risk if you did not check any of the risk factors.