Q.

How do I know if I have an intestinal obstruction?

Medical Editor, WebMD
A.

An intestinal obstruction (also known as a bowel obstruction) means that there is problem or blockage in the bowel preventing normal passage of intestinal contents. The obstruction may be partial or complete.

The only way to know if you have an intestinal obstruction is to be evaluated by a healthcare provider who will take your history, examine you, and order tests. Imaging tests to visualize the bowels are often used to diagnose intestinal obstruction.

Symptoms related to intestinal obstruction include abdominal pain and swelling, constipation, and vomiting. Diarrhea may also be present.

Intestinal obstruction can be an emergency situation requiring urgent treatment, so it is important that you be seen by a healthcare provider if you suspect you may have an obstruction or have severe abdominal pain or other digestive symptoms.