Q.

What do I eat after gallbladder surgery?

Medical Editor, WebMD
A.

The gallbladder serves as a bile storage center.  When you eat fatty foods, the gallbladder lets out bile to help digest fat. After the gallbladder is removed, , some people may experience problems because their bile flows directly into the intestines from the liver.  Symptoms include bloating, diarrhea and gas and may be noticeable with certain foods, particularly fatty meals.

To help minimize symptoms, you can try

• Eating smaller but more frequent meals rather than fewer, larger meals
  • Avoiding fatty foods and choosing low fat or non- fat foods.

Over time you may find that symptoms improve as your body begins to adjust to the changes after your gallbladder is removed.