Q.

How can I prevent my 11-month-old baby from getting an ear infection?

A.

Ear infections are common in older babies, especially those in a child care setting.

• Prevent ear infections by warding off colds with frequent hand washing. And yes, a baby this young can learn to wash hands (with plenty of help from you!).
  • Look for signs like tugging at the ear, fever, congestion, crankiness, and difficulty sleeping.
  • If your baby is diagnosed with an ear infection, your doctor will likely prescribe an antibiotic and may ask you to return in 2 weeks to check that the infection has resolved.
  • Frequent ear infections may damage hearing, so your doctor may refer you to an ear, nose, and throat specialist and discuss ear tubes if the situation becomes chronic.