Q.

My job is causing anxiety and depression. Our department may get shut down. I am on effexor and klonopin. What do I do?

Related Topics: Anxiety, Depression

Psychology
Patricia A. Farrell, Ph.D., LLC
A.

Considering what you are experiencing in terms of the downsizing where you work, I can certainly understand your feeling anxious and not exactly happy to go to work on any given day, much less Monday morning. I'm wondering if the talk in the office and the general atmosphere might be contributing to how you're feeling right now. I think it probably is. When a staff is cut so dramatically it has to have consequences and one of those consequences would be anxiety. I would wonder what management is doing, if anything, to improve the morale of the employees in the office.

Right now I can imagine that you are feeling that things are a bit bleak and that your current medication hasn't been of sufficient help to you. It's my professional opinion that medication alone, especially in a situation such as yours, is insufficient to help you. You really need to be referred for some cognitive therapy because you need to have the opportunity not only to air your concerns, but to work on things that can help you in the long run. What those things may be is not for me to say, but for you and the psychologist to discover.

I'm also wondering if you are doing some things which may be of help to you such as getting some regular exercise. I know that in your current situation this does not sound very appealing or even something you would want to do. Let me explain. Exercise can help you improve your mood and your outlook and I think that is something that needs to be worked on right now. Since exercise can work in much the same way as a medication can, it can make a significant difference in how you feel. It does have the ability to begin to make changes in your body's chemistry which will raise your mood, lower stress and anxiety levels and even help your immune system. All of this is to your benefit. You don't have to go to a gym. Go walking, do some simple, light weight training in the house (provided your physician agrees) and anyother type of exercise which appeals to you.

I know that things may be very difficult for you now, but they can improve.

Read the Original Article: What to do when you hate your job?