Q.

My wife has been mixing alchohol, Celexa and xanax in the evenings to deal with stress and anxiety. Can anyone help me?

Related Topics: Anxiety, Stress

Psychology
Patricia A. Farrell, Ph.D., LLC
A.

You are describing an extremely dangerous situation whereyour wife is placing herself at serious medical risk. Whoever is prescribingthis medication for her must be made aware of what she is doing. Taking alcohol with these medications causes the liverto process the medications less slowly and all of it builds up, something whichcould have consequences that would place her at serious risk and send her tothe ER.

Alcohol has the effect of potentiating Xanax, meaning it causesit to act as though you had had an even higher amount of the drug. I can onlysuspect that this will not have a good result unless she stops.

It would seem that since she does this when she gets home inthe evening, she must have a very demanding, stressful day time job oractivity. Often, persons who abuse medications and alcohol are trying to copewith this excessive stress. It's understandable that she's seeking relief, butshe is doing it in an extremely dangerous way.

I don't know if she will agree to speak to her prescriberabout this, but I do know that she needs help and her prescriber shouldconsider all options.

Read the Original Article: A deadly cocktail?