Q.

Is balloon dilation of the sinus cavities effective for migraines?

Related Topics: Cavity, Migraine, Sinus

Neurologist
Duke Pain and Palliative Care Clinic
A.

I'm not sure where you heard about this procedure, as it is not commonly done for migraines. There are no published reports that this even works for migraines, and only one doctor advertizes this for headaches on the internet.

The medical literature suggests that it may be helpful for correcting deviated septum and a few related sinus problems, but there are others who feel it isn't helpful.

There was a "fad" for doing sinus procedures for headaches in the mid 1990's. Most surgeons stopped doing this after it became apparent that surgery on the sinuses didn't actually make headaches better long term.

Almost all my migraine patients report some headaches triggered by weather, regardless of what their sinuses look like on xray or CT scan.

Read the Original Article: Balloon dilation of the sinus cavities for migraines