Q.

I lose control when I drink and don't know when to stop until is too late. Am I an alcoholic?

Related Topics: Drinking, Alcoholism

Psychiatry
Betty Ford Center
A.

You have come to an important point in your life - your drinking is not making your life better, it is clearly making your life worse - and I also sense that you are worried. If your gut is telling you to worry, do not ignore it!

I would first advise you stay away from the people places and things that have been part of your "alcohol-using life."

There are now more types of help available than ever before, and most are more accessible to you than ever before. The easiest, most accessible and most affordable (FREE) is AA. Counseling with a professional addictionologist is also an option. However, if you find that your best efforts to help yourself with only modest assistance do not work, that is a very clear sign that you need professional, specialized help. That help comes from an alcohol/drug treatment program.

Whatever you do — meetings, counseling and/or treatment - don't drop out. There are over 20 million people in long term recovery from serious substance abuse. and you could be the next one!

Read the Original Article: I`m I an alcoholic??

A.

If the question, “Am I an alcoholic” has crossed your mind at least once, then you must think that you may need help with your alcohol use. 

One of the most common stumbling blocks, which prevent many people from getting the help that they need, is denial. Seeking assistance for chronic alcohol abuse is a step that many find difficult to take. According to Alcoholics Anonymous,if you cannot quit your alcohol abuse even if you want to; and if you cannot control how much you consume in one instance, then you are probably an alcoholic.

There are many online self-assessments that ask you to consider your alcohol use by asking the following questions:

• Does drinking make you feel shame or guilty?

• Do you have alcohol cravings?

• Are you at risk of losing your home, family or job because of your drinking?

• Does drinking change your personality?

• Do you miss work because of drinking?

• Does drinking affect your home life?

• Have you lost your ambition or goals because of drinking?

• Do you have family members that have drinking problems?

If you can answer yes to any or all of those questions, according to the self scoring assessments, you are probably an alcoholic.

There are many different options for help in quitting alcohol use including detox, rehab, 12-Step programs and counseling. Make a commitment to stop, get involved in a program and be pro-active in your recovery.

Gallus Detox Center is a private inpatient detox facility that specializes in IV therapy medical detox. If you have questions about our facility or detox method, please call us at 855-338-6929.