Emory University
A.

Yes. Chest pain has many possible causes; some are harmless, but some (like a heart attack) can be life-threatening. Part of the problem is that the heart and other internal organs have a type of sensory nerve conduction where it is sometimes difficult to precisely pinpoint the exact origin of a painful sensation.  Pain due to something wrong in the heart, lungs, or belly can be vague, or feel like something else. This is why chest pain can be such a difficult problem for those who have it, as well as for their doctors.

Gas causes swelling in the intestines and a bloated feeling. When gas causes pain, it’s usually in the abdomen (belly). However, the pain may also be felt in the chest. If pain is due to gas, it should go away within a short time.

Other causes of chest pain not due to the heart include problems with the esophagus, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), musculoskeletal (chest wall) pain, problems in the lungs, and many others.

Studies have shown that even doctors have a hard time identifying the cause of chest pain just through conversation or physical examination. Laboratory tests, a chest X-ray, and an electrocardiogram are generally needed to know for sure that chest pain is nothing serious.

No one wants to call 911 or sit in an emergency room to be treated for what turns out to be gas pain. However, playing a waiting game when you are having chest pain can be a gamble with your health, or maybe your life. If you’re having chest pain, in almost all cases a doctor’s recommendation will be to seek medical attention.

A.

THANKS I HAVE BEEN HAVING A CHEST PAIN AND THRU MY UNDERARM SINCE EARLY THIS MORNING, I AM SCARED IT COULD BE A HEART ATTACK THEN AGAIN I HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS PAIN BEFORE BUT DOES NOT LAST AS LONG AS IT HAS TODAY...IT GETS WORSE WHEN I LAY DOWN...COULD IT BE GAS OR SHOULD I GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM