Q.

What can I do if my ADHD medication is unavailable for refill?

ADHD
A.
When someone has ADHD it can take several weeks, and sometimes even months, for a physician to determine the correct type (class) of medication, dose and treatment schedule to effectively reduce that patient’s ADHD symptoms while at the same time limiting potential side effects.

If you can’t get your medication, there are several things you can do to try to get by until your medication is available again.

• Substituting like-for-like is the best alternative. If a generic version of your medication is available try that first (Example: methylphenidate for Ritalin).  Talk to your physician about trying the short-acting version of the same medication you are on, but take it more frequently.
  • Let people know that you are not able to take your medication and ask for their help and understanding.  (Parents, be sure to send a note to school to inform your child’s teacher and ask for help).
  • Give yourself more time to accomplish a task. This might mean getting up earlier in the morning or asking for an extension on an assignment.
  • If you tend to act impulsively, put off making an important decision until you are back on your medication or at the very least sleep on it overnight.
  • Use tools to keep on task. Set an alarm and check that you are doing what you are suppose to be doing. Ask for more supervision or have someone check in with you more frequently.
  • Do the hardest tasks first or earlier in the morning when you are not as tired.
  • Get plenty of rest and exercise. Exercise can decrease hyperactivity and that feeling of restlessness.
  • Take frequent breaks. Get up and walk around and come back to a task after a few minutes to refocus.
  • Try to keep to the same routine. 
  • Make lists and use lots of reminders. Send yourself an email or voice mail or write on your hand if you need to.
  • If driving is a problem, ask someone else for a ride or take public transportation.
  • Forgive yourself and ask others to be more patient with you. Don’t make excuses, but do make a sincere effort to avoid problem situations or discussions that you know may get out of hand.
  • Don’t forget to eat.
  • Start your medication again as soon as it is available. 
  • Plan ahead and keep a few pills in reserve for the next time that there is a shortage!

Read the Original Article: Where’s My Ritalin?