Q.

I have lupus. How can I maintain good bone health?

Related Topics: Lupus

A.

Good nutrition is important for strong bones and muscles. For people with lupus, bone health is a particular concern. That’s because medications used to treat it can increase the risk for osteoporosis, a condition in which the bones become less dense and break easily.

Eating foods high in calcium and vitamin D is important for bone health. When buying dairy products, choose ones that are either low-fat or fat-free. Good choices include:

• 1% or skim milk
  • low-fat, low-sodium yogurt
  • low-fat cheese

If you cannot drink milk, good alternatives include:

• lactose-free milk
  • soy milk
  • almond milk
  • juices that are fortified with calcium and Vitamin D

Dark green vegetables are another source of calcium.

If you don’t get enough calcium in your diet, your doctor will probably recommend a calcium supplement.

Read the Original Article: Lupus Diet and Nutrition