Q.

What should I do if I need new MS medication?

Related Topics: Multiple Sclerosis, Drug

A.

The good news is that if you need new medication, there are almost always new ones available to try. If your doctor recommends a new type of treatment ask, "Why this one? What can I expect? And what are the downsides?"

In addition, you may want to ask other questions like these:

• What are my other options?
  • Why are you suggesting a change in therapy?
  • What do you hope this change will accomplish for me?
  • What are the potential benefits?
  • What are the potential side effects?
  • What monitoring is needed?
  • Will I need to change anything in my daily routine?

As for treating symptoms, be persistent. There are new treatments for symptomatic management that weren't available a few years ago. These include drugs to help with walking or spasticity, for example.

Also, ask about physical therapy to help with walking techniques, cognitive rehabilitation to help with mental changes, psychotherapy, and complementary approaches such as massage, yoga, or acupuncture. Some of these improve function and increase independence while others prevent complications or provide emotional support. Together, you can find approaches that will work better for you.

Read the Original Article: Is Your MS Treatment Working?