In addition to making adjustments to what you eat and how you cook, modifying certain habits can lessen heartburn symptoms too, including:
- Do not overeat. Instead, eat small, frequent meals. And take your time. Eating fast can worsen heartburn symptoms.
- Avoid lying down or going to sleep for at least three hours after a meal.
- Do not bend over right after eating.
- Do not smoke.
- Lose weight, if necessary.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes so as to not add extra pressure on your stomach.
- Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches with wood blocks or some other sturdy objects. Propping your head up with pillows probably won't give you the relief you need.
- If these diet and lifestyle tips don't help, or you need additional relief, over-the-counter antacids and acid-reducing or blocking drugs may help control your heartburn symptoms. Talk to your doctor to learn more about over-the-counter or prescription medications to treat your symptoms. Surgery may be needed in some cases.
Hiatal hernia symptoms can be bothersome. But, most people feel better after they adjust their diet and lifestyle.
This answer should not be considered medical advice...This answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.
Archived: March 20, 2014
Thanks for your feedback.
317 of 344 found this helpful
Read the Original Article: Hiatal Hernia Diet Tips