The following foods are highly acidic and/or may weaken the lower esophageal sphincter, making it easier for stomach acids to back up into your esophagus:
- Citrus foods, such as oranges, grapefruits, and lemons, and orange juice, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, and lemonade
- Fatty and fried foods, such as fried chicken and fatty cuts of meat
- Garlic and onions
- Spicy food
- Peppermint and spearmint
- Tomato-based foods such as spaghetti sauce, pizza, chili, salsa, and tomato juice
- Coffee, tea (including decaffeinated versions), and alcohol
- Carbonated beverages
- Dairy products, such as whole milk, ice cream, and creamed food. Try soy milk; it may be a good milk substitute. Also, mild cheeses, like feta or goat, may be enjoyed in moderation, or more often if you can tolerate them.
- Oil and butter
This answer should not be considered medical advice...This answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.
Archived: March 20, 2014
Thanks for your feedback.
79 of 82 found this helpful
Read the Original Article: Hiatal Hernia Diet Tips