Q.

I'm coughing up blood. When should I see a doctor?

Related Topics: Vision, Coughing Up Blood

A.

The most common reason for coughing up blood is acute bronchitis, which typically gets better on its own without treatment. People with bronchitis with small amounts of blood in the mucus for less than a week can watch carefully and wait for their condition to improve.

Coughing up blood can also be a sign of a serious medical condition. Call your doctor if you have any of these symptoms:

• Blood in mucus that lasts longer than a week, is severe or getting worse, or comes and goes over time
  • Chest pain
  • Weight loss
  • Soaking sweats at night
  • Fever higher than 101 degrees
  • Shortness of breath with your usual activity level

People requiring treatment for coughing blood are nearly always treated in a hospital, until the cause is identified, and the threat of serious bleeding passes.

Read the Original Article: Coughing Up Blood (Hemoptysis)