Q.

Emory University
A.

Nipple pain is a common in women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. The nipples may become more sensitive and tender during pregnancy. Poor “latch-on” by the baby when breastfeeding can also cause nipple pain.

In women who are not pregnant or lactating, nipple pain may be due to skin abrasion from tight-fitting bras or other clothing, or dry skin around the nipple. More serious causes of nipple pain include infections, Paget’s disease of the breast, or certain forms of breast cancer.

If nipple pain doesn’t go away in two weeks, or if you also have nipple discharge, call your doctor.

A.
I would also like to point out the fact that they may just be super tender due to having Fibromyalgia or a like illness.

Mine are and I have Fibromyalgia. I do have a  milky white discharge, but it has been checked out by a clinical lactation test and it is a healthy non-cancerous discharge. I am  not pregnant nor am I nursing.
I hope this helps.