Q.

What is the role of ob-gyns in informing women about pregnancy complications raising their heart disease risk?

A.

Some of the onus about getting the word out about pregnancy complications and heart risks falls on ob-gyns, says Mary Rosser, MD, PhD, an assistant professor in the department of obstetrics and gynecology and women’s health at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx, N.Y.

“We are seeing younger women and providing their primary care [and] we can make an impact,” she says.

“When I see patients with gestational diabetes, I say even though you are thin, you are still at risk for developing diabetes later on in life so you need to stay on top of this,” she says.

Read the Original Article: New Guidelines on Women’s Heart Risk