Q.

I take Coreg for high blood pressure and read that 32 deaths were attributed to it in 2007. Should I be concerned?

Related Topics: Grief, High Blood Pressure

Associate Clinical Professor, St. John's University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
A.

If you are concerned about the medications you are taking, you should discuss it with your health-care professional.

Medications approved by the FDA are tested and considered safe and effective for the conditions they treat. All medications carry some risks of side effects, and some can be quite serious. But the benefits almost always outweigh the risks.

Coreg treats serious conditions like high blood pressure and heart failure, which kills hundreds of thousands of people every year.

You should never stop a medication abruptly without talking to your doctor. If you have concerns, you should share them with your doctor, who can work with you to find a medication regimen to suit your needs and ease your concerns.

Read the Original Article: Blood Pressure and Cholesterol: Ask the Pharmacist