Q.

What OTC pain medicines are safe to use with amlodipine besylate, taken for high blood pressure?

Associate Clinical Professor, St. John's University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
A.

The three OTC pain relievers available are acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen. None of these interacts with amlodipine. So any of them would be considered safe to use for short-term management of pain or fever.

Ibuprofen and naproxen, when taken chronically for pain, can raise blood pressure. In this case, acetaminophen would be best.

There is more to consider in finding the right pain reliever than just the other medications you take. I would suggest you talk to your pharmacist, who can evaluate your entire situation and help you find the best pain reliever for your needs.

Read the Original Article: High Blood Pressure and Cholesterol: Ask the Pharmacist