Q.

My doctor says I should lose weight. Is it safe to take SlimQuick with Plavix, metoprolol, Cymbalta, Ativan & Lipitor?

I am perimenopausal and gaining weight. I have high blood pressure, heart disease and depression.

Associate Clinical Professor, St. John's University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
A.

Since SlimQuick is not regulated like medications are, we do not have very reliable information on what is in it or how safe and effective it is. As a pharmacist, I generally steer my patients clear of these weight-loss gimmicks.

I would suggest you see a nutritionist and get a personal trainer. Nothing helps you lose weight better than eating less and moving more.

Considering your other medical conditions, you should stay away from weight loss supplements that can cause unwanted side effects such as jitters, rapid heartbeat, and elevated blood pressure.

Read the Original Article: Succeeding in New Year's Resolutions: Ask the Pharmacist