Q.

Are there any drug interactions between Vicodin, or other narcotic pain relievers, and heart-failure medications?

Associate Clinical Professor, St. John's University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
A.

To answer your question, I would need to know which medications you take for heart failure, and how severe your heart failure is.

Vicodin and other narcotic pain relievers can cause breathing difficulties if you take too much. People with congestive heart failure, who often already have breathing difficulties, may be more prone to that side effect.

In reference to your question about specific drug interactions, I would need a list of your medications to answer that question. I suggest you talk to your pharmacist, who has a list of all your current medications, and can discuss the potential for drug interactions with you.

Read the Original Article: Heart Health: Ask the Pharmacist