Q.

Is it OK to cut a pill in half? I have 20 mg pills.

Related Topics: Cuts

A.
Tablet splitting or pill cutting is a practice that involves patients obtaining higher-strength tablets and breaking the tablet in half, quarter, or whatever smaller portion they can in an effort to save money.

The FDA has issued a statement on this practice. Splitting tablets are risky for several reasons. 1.) You might get confused about the right dose, especially if you forget to split the tablet; 2.) Splitting a tablet does not guarantee an equal distribution of medication; 3.) Some tablets are hard to split and may even crumble when attempting to split; 4.) Not all pills are safe to split, especially capsules and those with specially formulations to control drug release.

I suggest not splitting any medication unless you and your health-care provider have discussed the risks and benefits.

Read the Original Article: Best Questions From Season 1: Ask the Pharmacist