Q.

My 17-year-old has stopped taking Concerta after 10 years. What affect will this have on his ADHD?

ADHD
A.

Seventy percent of teens diagnosed when they are younger continue to have symptoms of their ADHD that affect their functioning as adolescents. Once your son stops taking his medication (Concerta), his symptoms will return relatively quickly.

Unless he has learned other compensatory techniques or has outside help, his symptoms will affect both his academic performance in school and his relationships with others. If he is driving, he may have more difficulty focusing and with distractibility. Teens with untreated ADHD tend to have more car accidents and get more speeding tickets.

All of this should be explained to him and I would suggest that he go in for a visit to discuss this and his decision to stop his medication with his health care provider.

I often use this situation as an opportunity for the teen to learn more about how his ADHD affects him and why or whether he need to continue his medication to treat his symptoms.

Read the Original Article: Concerta