Q.

I have fibromyalgia, with severe leg pain radiating from the hip area to my toes. Can antidepressants help?

I was taking Effexor for depression, and that helped, but I went off because of side effects.
Related Topics: Depression, Fibromyalgia, Pain

Fibromyalgia
A.

Leg pains are very common in FM, including referred pain, nerve pain, restless leg syndrome, and muscle spasm pain. Other causes of leg pain can include disc problems, pinched nerves, peripheral neuropathy, vascular disease, joint disease etc. [Could p]rior work injuries could be involved? Please have your doctor look over any new or persistent pain problems.

Antidepressents are known to help FM pain in many people. There's been an accumulating body of medical evidence demonstrating how different antidepressant meds: selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (like Effexor) and tricyclic antidepressants, can help decrease FM pain.

It's common for patients not to first realize how much a med may be helping until they go off of it. They may understate or underappreciate the med's pain-relieving benefit while on it, but realize it must have been working because the pain level escalates once off the med.

Discuss with your doctor possible additional medicine strategies.

Read the Original Article: Fibromyalgia -- my worst nightmare

A.

I was on Effexor for quite a while and found it very effective. However, when I started to have problems with muscles and aches....not knowing that I was probably dealing with Fibromyalgia......I switched to Cymbalta. I have found it to be helpful with the aches. Your pain sounds like you may be having problems with your sciatica.....a nerve that runs from your lower back, down through your butt....and then down the leg. It can be very painful. I have had spinal injections that have been helpful, and for a brief time participated in a pain management program. Sometimes it is hard to figure what comes first, the chronic pain or the depression. I will say that effective pain management does allow me to focus more on dealing with the depression. Talk with your doctor about developing a plan that can  try to address both issues. Best Wishes to you...