My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Ask Your Question

WebMD Answers

120 Characters remaining
120 Characters remaining
  • First, try and keep your question as short as possible.
  • Include specific words that will help us identify questions that may already have your answer.
  • If you don't find your answer, you can post your question to WebMD Experts and Contributors.


Posted: | Report This Report Question |

I'm 48 years old, and I have adult acne. Also, the skin around my nose flakes. What can I do about these two issues?

Related Topics: Adult Acne, Nose, Skin

Answers From Experts & Organizations (1)

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery and Skin Care
273 Answers
4,102 Helpful Votes

You may be suffering from a combination of acne and seborrheic dermatitis (SD). Typically, SD sufferers will have flaky skin around the nose and hairline in combination with dry patches. There is usually an underlying fungal component (with SD) that can be treated with an antifungal cream and/or shampoo. Flare-ups can be controlled with over-the-counter corticosteroids.

Once this component is under control your acne will be easier to treat. Your acne prevention regimen should include an antimicrobial facial wash that contains benzoyl peroxide acid or alpha-hydroxy acid, a mild exfoliating agent, and salicylic acid to help clear your clogged pores.

This answer should not be considered medical advice...down arrowThis answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.up arrow

| Report This Report Answer

Was this helpful?


Thanks for your feedback.

15 of 17 found this helpful
Read the Original Article: Fabulous Tips for Your 40s: Ask the Dermatologist