Q.

Does alcoholism have an effect on congestive heart failure? My husband drinks 12 beers a day and is very bloated.

Cardiology
A.

Excessive alcohol use can increase the risk of congestive heart failure by causing a cardiomyopathy -- which is a medical term used to describe weakness of the heart muscle. This can result in swelling like your husband is experiencing. In addition, liver damage from alcohol can also cause swelling.

It sounds as though he should see a doctor urgently to try to help treat his symptoms, and he would benefit greatly from some assistance to help him stop drinking.

Read the Original Article: Effects of excessive drinking?