Q.

Can adults get hand, foot, and mouth disease?

Related Topics: Foot, Hand, Mouth

Emory University
A.

Yes. Hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) is caused by viruses from a group called enteroviruses. HFMD is common in infants and children, but can also affect adults. Symptoms can include fever, sore throat, and blistering sores in the mouth that become ulcers. A rash may appear on the palms and soles of the hands and feet.

HFMD is spread through virus-contaminated secretions from the nose, throat, saliva, or blister fluid. A person can still transmit the virus to others for weeks after symptoms resolve.

Hand, foot, and mouth disease has nothing to do with foot-and-mouth disease, a disease that affects livestock. Foot-and-mouth (or hoof-and-mouth) is caused by a different virus, and people can’t catch the disease from animals.

A.
Yes, my daughter got hand, foot and mouth disease from her daughter that is 20 months old. It is a nasty and terrible virus. Your throat feels like razors blades are in it, your body feels like you have pneumonia. My granddaughter and daughter have suffered terrible with this virus and there seems to be nothing that helps!