Q.

Is it still safe to use a prescription antibiotic cream a year after it has expired?

Associate Clinical Professor, St. John's University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
A.
Expiration dates are provided to you on prescription products as a way to ensure that you are using a product at its best. Many medications lose potency over time, and some even can become dangerous to use after they expire.

While in most cases it is not dangerous to use a product beyond its expiration date, if the antibiotic cream you are using has lost its ability to treat your infection, it may get worse and require even more extensive treatment.

I suggest you contact your doctor for a new prescription and replace your expired medication with a new one.

Read the Original Article: Acne, Blemishes, and Rashes: Ask the Pharmacist