Q.

What cold and flu medications can I safely take while breastfeeding?

Related Topics: Flu, Coldness, Breastfeed, Drug

Associate Clinical Professor, St. John's University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
A.

Most over-the-counter cold and flu medications are considered safe to use for the short term while breastfeeding. Pain relievers like acetaminophen and ibuprofen, antihistamines, and decongestants are all considered safe. However, they should only be taken if absolutely necessary.

If you have to choose a cold and flu medication to use while breastfeeding, it is wise to choose short-acting products over long-acting versions, and to try and take the medication right after you’ve breastfed.

Also, topical versions (like nasal sprays) may be safer choices than oral versions of decongestants. Always check with your pharmacist or physician before taking an over-the-counter medication while breastfeeding.

Read the Original Article: Cold & Flu Medicine Safety: Ask the Pharmacist