Q.

Is an over-the-counter cold medicine safe to take while you are taking medicine for high blood pressure and low thyroid?

Associate Clinical Professor, St. John's University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
A.

To answer your question, I really would need to know more specific information about which medications you are referring to. In general, people with hypothyroidism and high blood pressure are advised to avoid decongestant medications that contain phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine because these medications can raise blood pressure and cause a rapid heartbeat in some patients. Ask your pharmacist which cold medicine would be right for your specific symptoms and with your current medications.

Read the Original Article: Cold & Flu Medicine Safety: Ask the Pharmacist