My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Ask Your Question

WebMD Answers

120 Characters remaining
120 Characters remaining
  • First, try and keep your question as short as possible.
  • Include specific words that will help us identify questions that may already have your answer.
  • If you don't find your answer, you can post your question to WebMD Experts and Contributors.


Posted: | Report This Report Question |

What types of injections are used to treat osteoarthritis?

Related Topics: Osteoarthritis, Injection

Answers From Experts & Organizations (1)

7,995 Answers
375,366 Helpful Votes

Joint injections for knee OA (osteoarthritis) may be an alternative for people who don’t find relief from oral medications or aren’t able to take them. Joint injections are given at your doctor’s office. First your doctor may take fluid out of your knee with a needle and then inject one of the following:

  • Corticosteroids.These medications are related to cortisone, a hormone your body makes to fight inflammation. Injecting corticosteroids directly into affected knee joints can quickly and effectively reduce pain and inflammation. The relief can last from several weeks to several months.
  • Hyaluronic acid. These injections are designed to help boost the hyaluronic acid found naturally in your joints, which keep them moving smoothly. In people with osteoarthritis, the hyaluronic acid gets thinner and less slippery. Several hyaluronic acid products are approved for treating osteoarthritis of the knee. They may ease pain for months to a year, sometimes longer.

This answer should not be considered medical advice...down arrowThis answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.up arrow

| Report This Report Answer
Archived: March 20, 2014

Was this helpful?


Thanks for your feedback.

36 of 44 found this helpful
Read the Original Article: Knee Osteoarthritis: Is Knee Replacement Surgery Inevitable?