Q.

What is the survival rate and prognosis for Hodgkin's lymphoma?

Related Topics: Hodgkin's Lymphoma

A.

The five-year survival rate refers to the percentage of patients, according to the stage of their disease at diagnosis, who live at least five years after treatment for Hodgkin lymphoma. Many of these patients live longer than five years.

• Stage I: 90%-95%
  • Stage II: 90%-95%
  • Stage III: 85%-90%
  • Stage IV: about 80%

Long-term health problems can occur after treatment of Hodgkin lymphoma that are related to the treatment -- leukemia, myelodysplastic syndromes, breast cancer, heart disease, thyroid disease, lung disease, including lung cancer, and infertility. Annual physical exams are essential to screen for other diseases. Tests might include annual breast MRI scans and/.or annual chest CT scans. Medical  attention should be sought, promptly, for any new, serious symptoms.

Read the Original Article: Understanding Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Diagnosis and Treatment